Thursday, September 18, 2008

Game #2 - Postgame Report - Ouch!!

Bad day for the Express, although it wasn't quite as a bad as the score looks. Final score was 7-1. Team USA was just a much better team in all facets of the game except for goaltending. I give the edge to Express goalie Adam Buegler over the Team USA goalie. Buegler was tested today, and made several great saves, while the Team USA goalie probably didn't even break a sweat as the Express only managed 18 shots on goal.

Observations from today:

- Forward lines were basically the same today as yesterday, with Sean Randall playing in place of Josh Daley.

- The Express dressed a new defenseman today who was wearing jersey #7. His name is David Starr and he is from California. He administered a couple of big hits, and made a really smart play. With the Express on the powerplay, a delayed penalty was called on Team USA, and Starr immediately passed the puck off a Team USA player to get the whistle and maximize the 5 on 3 time. I'll do a profile on this guy when I get a chance. He was paired with Nick Carson. The other defensive pairings were Fiala/Puente, and Orange/Smith.

- The lone Express goal was pretty. Cory Thorson took a pass from Troy Puente in the left circle, then skated into the slot, beating the Team USA goalie with a wrister to the top corner. The Express actually led the game at that point.


Plenty more I could talk about, but I'm trying to erase this from my memory, so I'm going to quit talking about it. I hope they take tonight to regroup, and come out strong tomorrow against Marquette.

--BK

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is bad Karma.

I will eat only veges tomorrow to cleanse my soul.

Express lets get on the track.....

Eric Marshall said...

For a NEW team, I think we are doing a great job playing these teams that have played together. If we go 0 for 4 and keep making improvements, I'm good with that. I think this team will start to gel together in a few weeks and then, LOOK OUT!

Anonymous said...

extremely sloppy in the defensive zone, horrible breakouts, and lack of hitting. The defense needs to stop firing the puck around the boards giving the wingers no choice but to tip it into the neutral zone to the opposing defense. Huge lack of intensity in the 3rd, no matter how bad your losing you need to keep skating hard. hopefully coach cullen lights a fire underneath these guys, they have the talent.

Anonymous said...

Surprised Daley sat. He had a point in each game. Seems that they need to have as many scoring chances as they can get.

Anonymous said...

this is our weakest team by far and our defense is very bad. coach needs to work on teaching the defense as they have the skill just need to utilize it.

Anonymous said...

This season start is an embarrasment. The Machine is doing better than us.

Glad that I did not donate money other than for my season tickets which I always buy.

Anonymous said...

I chose to drink during games, it takes the edge off.

There are hops and such in beer so it tends to make me feel like a Vegin.

The Vets have not been impressive at all. I like the rookies. The D is horrible.

Anonymous said...

Smell that?

Hear we may have a trade or two in the works.