Friday, September 5, 2008

Trouble Down ThUnder (It's a play on words)

In my blogpost from Monday, I mentioned that something didn't smell right with the circumstances surrounding Adam Royce walking away from the Albert Lea Thunder. Well as it turns out, there is more to that story. From today's Albert Lea Tribune: http://www.albertleatribune.com/news/2008/sep/05/royce-left-amid-roster-concerns/


My take: My initial thought was: Great, whatever hurts one of our rivals, is good for the Express. Furthermore, it gives me a greater appreciation for how far the Express have come since April, given the fact that we survived similar issues last season. However, the reality is the Express and Thunder need each other. Growing the interest in junior hockey in Southern Minnesota is good for both teams. If there is a strong rivalry between the teams, more tickets will be sold no matter which team is hosting the other. Can we still have a healthy dislike of the Thunder?? Absolutely, but we need them to be at least mildly successful. Imagine how big a crowd there could be in a late season matchup between the two teams with a playoff birth on the line, or how intense the games would be in a playoff series with a trip to the Robertson Cup on the line.

I hope that the Thunder puts this behind them, and moves on as quickly as possible. I also hope Adam Royce can find a place to play that he feels more comfortable with. By the way, the Thunder host the Express in their home opener in just 3 weeks on September 27th. I will be there, and I hope a strong contingent of Express fans are there with me.

--BK

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

whose this royce kid....i cant even belive a newpaper would cover that ridiculous story....who cares about one kid leaving the team

Anonymous said...

He was the top player from Albert Lea's high school hockey team last year. That's why.

Anonymous said...

really, in fact, i dont give a hoot, he is not that special that the red carpet needs rolling out by AL. my opinion, if you dont like something, find the nearest door then exit, i dont care who or why be it player or coach.

just want to beat that team.

Anonymous said...

Lets not get ourselves all wrapped up in other teams problems and focus on our own team and issues.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely cannot stand arrogant players. We have a few last year and the years before and it drove me nuts.

Anonymous said...

Any preseason games in the forecast?

Hows the ticket sales going?

Anonymous said...

Trouble Down ThUnder.

That is a good one Mr. BK.

Big Kahuna said...

"Any preseason games in the forecast?" - I just added a new post that includes the preseason schedule.

"Hows the ticket sales going?" - I do not know, as I am not privy to that information. You would have to talk to the organization to get that info.

--BK